Sorry seems to be the hardest word...

 


Click here for audio. 

"There is only one thing I can say - I'm sorry”. These are the words of Conservative MP Suella Braverman after the general election results last week.

“I'm sorry that my party didn't listen to you. The Conservative Party has let you down. You voted for us over 14 years and we did not keep our promises. We have acted and we need to learn our lesson because, if we don't, we will have many worse nights to come. The country deserves better and I will do everything in my power to rebuild but we need to listen to you - you have spoken very clearly."

Well I’m not into politics, and possibly you aren’t either. And maybe sometimes apologies can feel a little hollow. But in politics, in personal life, in public and in private, it’s good when we get things wrong to say sorry.

Beyoncé, Madonna, Madness, UB40, Guns and Roses, Justin Bieber, they’ve all got songs called “Sorry”. As Elton John sang “Sorry seems to be the hardest word”.

You feel bad when you have to say sorry. Because inevitably it means you’ve got something wrong, and normally you’ve hurt someone.

But it can be a very healing word. If you have an interaction with someone and they say “I’m sorry, it’s totally my fault”, sometimes that can completely open up the relationship again. It must be followed by action otherwise it’s an empty apology, and then trust is not built up, but genuine sorrow for mistakes made is the beginning of healing.

Well sorry is actually the first word on the road back to God (2 Cor 7:8-10). “I’m sorry God. This is your world, and I’ve been living in it like I’m the boss instead of you. When I’ve hurt other people, I’ve actually hurt you because you made them and you love them. Please forgive me through Jesus Christ who died for my sins”.

Sorry is the first word on the way back to God. Let me finish with a wonderful Bible verse that tells us that if we say sorry, God will have us back. “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord” (Acts 3:19).

Thanks so much for listening, and sorry.