I will wait

 Last month I gave a thought for the day on the topic of Hope and this morning I’d like to talk to you about a related topic, and that’s waiting. I think they’re linked because when you’re waiting for something, it shows that you think it will come, or at least, you’re hoping so. The Bible verse I read last time says “If we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.” Hope leads to waiting, and patience. 


This weekend I went for a cycle ride with my fiancée, we decided to meet halfway between our houses, and I got there first, primarily because I had the wind behind me and she was cycling headfirst into powerful gusts that almost knocked her off her bike. But when I got there, I waited. I was hoping she would come and so I waited. And even though it took longer than I expected for her to get there, I stayed there, waiting. She did come eventually, you’ll be pleased to hear, and it was worth the wait to see her. 


What are you waiting for? I know some parents were waiting for the 8th of March when children went back to school, and now we may be waiting for the 29th when people can meet in groups outside again. But when we’re waiting for something, it shows confidence that it’s going to happen. If we thought it wasn’t going to happen, we wouldn’t wait for it. I would love it to start raining marshmallows, but I’m not going to stand outside with my mouth open waiting, because I don’t think it’s going to happen! 


The theme of waiting comes up a lot in the Psalms, songs from the heart written mostly by King David of Israel. And he says in one of them “How long O Lord, will you forget me forever?” David feels forgotten by God, his life is hard, and he can’t see how God is in control. But he has confidence that God will do something, he just needs to wait. That’s why he says “How long” – he knows God really won’t forget him forever. 


So if you feel a bit forgotten by God, if you think to yourself “If God’s even real, he really doesn’t care about me” – well God is coming. God is going to come and make things right. And we need to make sure we’re on the right side of Him when He does. Things will get better in this world, this is clear from the government’s Covid roadmap. But things will be fixed forever when Jesus returns. Wait patiently. Thank you for listening, I’ll leave you with a song about waiting. Have a great day. 

Followed by “I will wait” by Mumford & Sons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGKfrgqWcv0


Matt Gurtler 18/3/21 https://christchurchhuntingdon.co.uk/Groups/312371/Other_Talks.aspx?show_media=269903&show_file=292068