I'm a celebrity, get me forgiveness...


Well MP Matt Hancock’s appearance on “I’m a celebrity get me out of here” has been very controversial. Some from his Haverhill constituency (not far from here) have called it a disgrace that he’s gone on the programme, and others have said he should resign. Even a mild-mannered relative of mine wrote “stupid man” over his photo on a newspaper cutting that she sent to me! A few on the other hand, have valued his time in the Jungle said that it’s been important to see that he’s only human like everyone else.

But fellow contestant, and TV presenter Charlene White tackled him directly on how he had flaunted the very lockdown guidance he had asked others to follow: "My aunt died from Covid in the first wave. So, we couldn't go to the hospital to go and visit her. I had to sit by myself in the church at her funeral. We couldn't hug each other because we were following guidance. And I get that you fell in love, I understand all of those things, but sorry for a lot of families like mine doesn't really cut it”.

Hancock responded: "Yeah. Well, there you go. That's one of the reasons that I regret it as much as I do."

He later told White: "Do you know what it is actually, what I'm really looking for is a bit of forgiveness, that's what I'm really looking for... We all make mistakes. I made a pretty big one."

I wonder, do you think Matt Hancock should be forgiven?
Do you think Matt Hancock can be forgiven?

It’s not just a theoretical question. Because you and I will have made big mistakes in our lives like Matt Hancock. Some will have brought great damage to people around us, some will have hurt the people we love the most.

So how can someone who had done such wrong be completely forgiven? We get a clue from the angels that we will be hearing from this Christmas time in every nativity play “I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people, today in the town of David a Saviour is born to you”.

The baby born in the manger is not only God himself, he’s not only the CEO of the universe, but he stepped down into this world to bring the forgiveness that Matt Hancock and you and I need.  “what I'm really looking for is a bit of forgiveness”. Matt Hancock, you can find it this Christmas and so can you and I. 

Charlie Newcombe, 30/11/22