It's a Sign


I like signs. Over the last few weeks I’ve spotted a few around Huntingdon. Most of them grown out of the pandemic in some way. We still need them…

·      Opposite St Anne’s school in Godmanchester it says “Well done Kids”.

·      Near Hinchingbrooke school there’s a sign saying “NHS- National Hero Service”.

·      Again in Godmanchester a hand painted sign saying “You got this”.

I wonder if you’ve ever heard anyone say “I’ll believe in God if he gives me a sign”. You see many people carry on their everyday lives wondering if God is there. Surely if God is real he would break in and show me?

In the King of the Belgians pub in Hartford there’s a sign that says “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy”. Well I’m not sure that’s the sign you are looking for.

You see the question is, even if God did send us a sign, would we recognise it. Woody Allen, the comedian once said “I’ll only believe in God if he gives me a sign, like making a large deposit in a swiss bank account in my name!”

Would we see the sign if God sent it?! God has done more than give us a sign. He’s given us a Son.

We don’t need to wait for a sign like a flash of lightning or having the winning lottery numbers to believe God is there.

God has appointed Jesus Christ as the king of the universe who one day every one of us will meet. He’s come in person. And those around Jesus saw him do many miracles which were the signs that we need, pointing to who he is. You can read what they wrote in the Bible. God hasn’t sent a sign, he’s sent us a Son.

I used to be part of a church in London that regularly put signs outside our church building. Probably my favourite was this one, and with this I’ll close. It said “This is a sign that you should come to church”!!

Thank you for listening, and have a great day.

Followed by “I saw the sign” by Ace of Base.  

Charlie Newcombe 11/5/22