Integrity



One of the most often cited reasons for people handing in their resignation to Boris Johnson last week was integrity. People didn’t feel that he could be trusted anymore. And as you’ll know he’s now stepping down as leader of the Conservatives.

One person who resigned last week was Sajid Javid, outgoing Health Secretary and I quote…
“I am instinctively a team player but the British people also rightly expect integrity from their Government”.

But just in case any of you were worrying, this thought for the day is not about politics, its about integrity. Integrity is about when something is whole and not undivided.

If you say one thing and do another, you are divided. If your loyalties are split so that you seek to serve people, but you are also seeking to serve yourself and your own agenda, you lack integrity.

There is a verse in the Old Testament that is so important to me that my wife did some embroidery to write it indelibly in needlework on a piece of fabric that is framed in my study.

It says “give me an undivided heart that I may fear your name”. It’s from Psalm 86:11 where David is asking God to teach him his ways, and enable him to live with integrity rather than division in his heart.

“Give me an undivided heart that I may fear your name”. Help me to walk with integrity. I have to pray that prayer every day, because I know how flawed my human heart can be, and how its motives can be so mixed, seeking my own agenda and reputation rather than God’s.

Do you know, according to an interview with the BBC last Sunday, it was a Christian event, a prayer breakfast in parliament that really acted as the final trigger for Sajid Javid. And I quote from his interview with the BBC’s Sophie Raworth… "It might sound a bit strange but I was listening to the sermon by this amazing man, Reverend Les Isaac - you know, he started Street Pastors, I was listening to him talking about the importance of integrity in public life and, just focusing on that, I made up my mind”.

May the Lord give us all the help to walk in the footsteps of the only man who truly walked his talk, Jesus Christ, and may we have integrity. Amen.

Followed by “Honesty” by Billy Joel.  

Charlie Newcombe 13/7/22