Darkness doesn't have the final word...

 Click here for audio


Good morning. My name is Charlie Newcombe, I'm the minister at CCH. 

Last month, a report was published analysing the countries of the world for how they are doing with their mental health. Those who instigated this report have found that in general after the Covid lockdowns there wasn’t a recovery in wellbeing as might have been expected, but that globally we have sunk to a new low.

And specifically for those of us living in the UK, the UK came 2nd from the bottom of the list for its mental health quotient, and bottom of the list for the percentage of people distressed or struggling with 35% of those interviewed saying that they were distressed or struggling.

Why is that? Why are we statistically more unhappy even than those living in Ukraine? Those in Latin America and Africa are far happier than us.

Well someone might claim that we are talking about mental health a lot more than before, and so the stats have gone up. And actually that’s a good thing. The stiff upper lip of our forbears may not have helped anyone. But a greater willingness to talk can’t explain all of it.

The truth is that loads of people these days are really struggling. It may be due to debt, the cost of living crisis, a relationship breakdown, family or health difficulty or just the blues. If that’s you and you are listening in today, I’m so sorry.

There are no quick fixes for depression or anxiety, and I’d encourage you to talk to a friend or a doctor, and seek the help that you need. You’ll be amazed how people are there for you.

But can I offer two perspectives as a Christian that have helped me and others I know when they have been struggling.

1) The Bible is full of great resources…

The Psalms are a bunch of songs written up to 3000 years ago, and they can give us words to say when we don’t have any of our own. Psalm 42 is a favourite “Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God”.

There’s even a Psalm which just finishes very honestly and very abruptly with “Darkness is my closest friend”

2) The Christian faith gives hope…

However dark things get, darkness is not the end. It doesn't have the final word. Jesus died on Good Friday but he rose to new life on Easter day, and if we hold onto Jesus, he will take us to new life beyond the suffering.

Thanks for listening. Have a great day.

Charlie Newcombe 11APR24.